A well painted home can add beauty and value to it. The well painted and good looking and beautifully painted interior walls of a home can be very pleasant and peaceful.
It is not that only so called interior designers or experts can give good or great ideas on how to paint the interior walls of a home. Anyone, with some research can easily develop some great painting ideas and make his or her home look beautiful.
This interior wall painting guide will teach you how to professionally paint the interior walls of your home without having to hire any expert.
Before starting the painting work, check out following:
- Check all wall surfaces for any incidence of water seepage or any dampness on any of the wall of the ceiling.
- If there is any water seepage problem, fix it at source. You may have to repair and fix any leaking pipes or cracks in the exterior walls.
- Check for any loose plaster by tapping on the walls. If you find any hollow sound, there could be loose plaster. If there is any loose plaster on any of the walls or the ceiling, remove and repair it.
- Fill up all cracks and repair broken plaster
- After repair, give enough time for curing that could be anything between 5 to 10 days or even more.
- If the surface of the interior walls of your home is newly plastered then wait for at least 6 months to ensure proper drying of plaster. Popping of plaster can be repaired prior to painting.
- If there are previous coatings of lime wash, cement paint or powder distemper then scrap them off thoroughly. If there are old coatings of synthetic emulsion paints or oil paint, then there is no need to remove them. You can sand and remove gloss or sheen from such coatings.
- If there are any cracked or flaked paint then remove them completely.
- If there are any areas affected by fungus then give special treatment to that area. Wash and clean the area with a solution of bleach powder in water. Wash the walls thoroughly with clean water after 8-10 hours and allow enough time for the surface to dry completely.
Painting Interior Walls
- Apply a coat of wall primer. Use good quality wall primer that is solvent thinnable.
- If there is any undulation on the walls then apply putty and fill and level the area. Sand the area and make sure the surface is uniformly smooth.
- Allow 10 – 12 hours for the primer to dry thoroughly.
- Using brush or rollers, apply at least 2 coats of the selected paint.
- Allow 12 – 24 hours for the walls to dry completely.
Well done! You have painted the interior walls of your home yourself.